During our parents’ era, the norm was to get a job in an office-based environment and to stick to it. However, there were and still are many difficulties in securing such a career.
· You either commute to and from the office or rent a place nearby
· You wake up early to make it to work on time so, there’s no way you can sleep in
· You invest in corporate clothes
· You prepare the meal you would be taking with you or buy your food
· You have less quality time with your loved ones
Things have changed over the course of a few years. Thanks to the Internet, it’s so easy to connect with one another. It has made the world so small that you can easily send a message to a person in seconds.
Because of the ease of communication, the Internet has brought about, people have been introduced to telecommuting—working from anywhere and anytime in the world.
One person who has taken advantage of the online world is Imee Lee. She is a detailed-oriented, creative thinking virtual assistant who has been with Outsourcing Angel for over a year; working with one client for the longest time.
Without further ado, let’s listen to Imee as we learn more about her and how she can inspire us into becoming a successful virtual assistant:
1. Give us a little bit of background about yourself.
I was 16 years old. I eagerly wanted to finish my studies. When I first started working, I worked as an administrative assistant in and office. And luckily, my cousin introduced me to how to do it online. I tried to apply through Upwork and Online Jobs. Thanks to God, I found some jobs to support my financial needs for school and allowances.
To cut this story short, I finished college and I’ve been working for 7 years already. Thanks to Outsourcing Angel, I have a long-term client.
2. Share with us your early years of challenges.
The most challenging was I didn’t have any laptop or smart phone or Internet that I needed to use. I was going to an Internet café and researched on Google how to become a freelancer, how to apply and how to create a cover letter.
Because of that, I was able to cope up with the issues. With the money gathered from my income, I was able to buy a second-hand laptop.
3. What pushes you to get that goal?
I wanted to finish my college degree and I found a way to get a job to get that goal. [I was able to finish my college studies due to Outsourcing Angel].
4. What’s your next goal?
I was planning to have a board exam but I can’t do it since I have a son to take care of and a job. My new goals are to renovate our new house and pay our monthly dues.
5. Can you tell us your secret of being able to maintain your client for one year and counting?
Touch base with them. Don’t wait for the client to tell you what to do. Ask them for the tasks that you need to do. Greet them good morning even if they don’t greet back. Communication is the key.
6. What piece of advice can you give to those who don’t have the resources but has goals in life? What piece of advice can you give people to those who are watching right now?
Be eager to have a job. Don’t be afraid to ask your client or yourself, “Can I do this? Can I do that?”
Lastly, always trust yourself and set your goals.
Imee is a premium example of someone who clearly establishes her goals and follows through. You can be sure that if you pursue your dreams just like her, you can be sure that you would also achieve success in everything that you do.